Saturday, November 1, 2014

Simply Snacking Tips

Potato chips are a typical go-to snack, but not for me (at least, not anymore!). As a single lady, I've learned that I want to make the most of my grocery budget. Simple snacks that are filling and healthy have taken the place of chips and cookies, and I love the results! Not only do I feel good about myself for eating healthy, I also feel like I'm rewarding myself with special treats!

So here are some tips I've developed for myself regarding snacking habits:

Quality cheese - I buy cheese in blocks because it seems to stay fresh longer that way. I usually keep mozzarella and colby jack on hand for cooking, so I simply cut a chunk of the block into cubes for snacks. See tomorrow's post for more tips on buying and using cheese when you're cooking for one.

Fresh fruit - I prefer strawberries, apples, and bananas because I can make other things with them as well. For a week's grocery trip, 2 apples, 2 bananas, and a small package of strawberries is just right. I dice the strawberries and freeze half of them immediately, and slice both apples before drizzling them with lemon juice and storing in a tightly sealed container in the fridge (unless I am planning an apple cobbler). 

Chocolate - My go-to chocolate fixes are Hershey's spreads (so many flavors!) and dark chocolate chips. Dark chocolate has many health benefits, so it's smart to substitute dark for milk chocolate whenever possible. I use the spreads and chocolate chips in other recipes, too, so I always keep both on hand. They stay fresh a long time, so I don't have to worry about either spoiling, which is always a concern when grocery shopping for one.


Occasionally, I'll actually make this my evening meal by simply adding some good quality crackers and thinly sliced turkey from the deli, which I roll up and hold with a toothpick. Add a glass of pinot grigio? Perfect girls night in!

I mean, how can I go wrong with strawberries, chocolate, and wine?

No comments:

Post a Comment